Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Southern Living: Foods

I live in on the coast of South Carolina and through my job, I meet people from all of the US. Something that constantly surprises me is the bafflement or humor some express over southern cuisine. These foods have been so common in my life that it's hard for me to realize most (if not all) are a local cuisine. Now, it goes without saying the south is known for comfort foods: fried chicken, green beans, cornbread but maybe there are a few other dishes/food items you haven't heard of! Here's a sample for you.

Source: Istock/NRedmond

Grits
A breakfast food make of boiled ground corn.


Source: Eatgood4life.com  {Recipe}

Fried Green Tomatoes 
Unripe tomatoes that are battered in cornmeal and fried.

Source: Prairie-table.com

Pimento Cheese 
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese mixed with mayonnaise and pimentos.

Source: Roadfood.com | Bertha's Kitchen

Hoppin John 
Rice with field peas, pork seasoning, and snaps (green beans) mixed in.


Lowcountry Boil / Frogmore Stew 
A boil of crab, shrimp, sausage, corn on the cob and potatoes.

Source: SavannahNow.com

Carolina Red Rice 
Rice cooked in a tomato sauce with onions, smoked sausage, and a kick of hot sauce. 
Similar to Jambalaya.

Not included are items I think are more common and not specifically set in southern cuisine. These include: Banana pudding, cheese straws, fried pickles, pecan pie. chicken fried steak, liver and gizzards.

Note: The South is a pretty big place. A dish can be made differently from one place to the next so the explanations I've given only reflect what I know and am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment